150th Belmont Stakes
In Their Own Words” is a series of diaries that celebrates the 150th Belmont Stakes on June 9 at Belmont Park by featuring prominent owners, trainer and jockeys sharing their first-hand experiences of some of the most stirring moments in the history of the “Test of the Champion.” The series is co-authored by Tom Pedulla, who has covered every Belmont since 1997.
The series concludes with Hall of Fame jockey Ron Turcotte reflecting on one of the great athletic feats of all time, human or equine, when Secretariat moved "like a tremendous machine" in 1973.
- June 7 - Secretariat Moves "Like a Tremendous Machine" in Epic Belmont
- June 1 - American Pharoah Ends Record Triple Crown Drought
- May 25 - Julie Krone Rides Into History With Colonial Affair
- May 18 - Affirmed Again Denies Alydar to Give Cauthen "The Greatest Day of My Racing Life"
- May 11 - Marylou Whitney on Birdstone's Upset of Smarty Jones for 'The Most Glorious Day of My Life'
- May 4 - A rivalry made for Hollywood, Easy Goer denies Sunday Silence’s Triple Crown bid
- April 27 - Palace Malice Provides the “Mother of all Great Moments”
- April 20 - Rags to Riches: A Filly's Historic Run in 2007 Belmont