Owner: Mike Repole
Trainer: Todd Pletcher
Jockey: Rosie Napravnik
- * Purchased for $475,000 at the OBS select sale of 2-year-olds in March, 2012
- * Won her first start by 9 ½ lengths in November at Aqueduct, then ticked off three straight stakes wins: the Grade 2 Demoiselle in November and the Grade 3 Rachel Alexandra and Grade 2 Fair Grounds Oaks this year
- * Her first defeat came when third to stablemate Princess of Sylmar and 2-year-old filly champion Beholder in the Grade 1 Kentucky Oaks
- * Will be reunited in the Belmont with Napravnik, who was aboard for the Rachel Alexandra
- * Would be the 23rd filly to compete in the Belmont; only Ruthless (1867), Tanya (1905) and Rags to Riches (2007) have won
This will be the second Belmont Stakes for Queens native Mike Repole, whose Stay Thirsty finished second in 2011. Repole, 44, is a major investor in and chairman of Pirate Brands and Energy Kitchen restaurants, and was the president and co-founder of Glaceau, maker of Vitaminwater and Smartwater. The company was sold to Coca-Cola in 2007 for a reported $4.1 billion. Repole was the leading owner at Saratoga in 2010, 2011 and 2012, and led all owners in New York in wins in 2009. The owner of 2010 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile winner and 2-year-old champion Uncle Mo, Repole’s other stakes winners include Stay Thirsty, who in 2011 won the Gotham, Jim Dandy and Travers and the Cigar Mile in 2012, Unlimited Budget, Calibrachoa, Caixa Eletronica and Driven by Success. Repole and his wife Maria reside in Long Island.
Pletcher will try for his second Belmont Stakes victory this year, having captured the 2007 edition when Rags to Riches became the first filly in 102 years to win the race, defeating eventual Horse of the Year Curlin by head. Pletcher’s previous 11 Belmont starters include Impeachment, who was fifth in 2000, and runners-up Bluegrass Cat (2006), Dunkirk (2009) and Stay Thirsty (2011). A five-time Eclipse Award winner as the nation’s top trainer, Pletcher won his first Kentucky Derby in 2010 with Super Saver. Pletcher trained champions Ashado, English Channel, Fleet Indian, Lawyer Ron, Left Bank, Rags to Riches, Shanghai Bobby, Speightstown, Wait a While, and Uncle Mo. Pletcher has won 27 NYRA meet titles including three straight at Saratoga from 2010-2012, and was the leading trainer on the circuit in 2003, 2004, and 2010.
Fifth in the Kentucky Derby and third in the Preakness aboard Mylute, Napravnik would be the first woman to ride in all three legs of the Triple Crown in the same year. This will be her second start in the Belmont, having finished fifth with Five Sixteen in 2012; she is bidding to join Julie Krone (1993 Belmont with Colonial Affair) as the only woman to ever win a Triple Crown race. Eighth in the national jockey standings in 2012, Napravnik won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile aboard Shanghai Bobby and the Kentucky Oaks with Believe You Can. Her first winner was at Pimlico on June 9, 2005, just days after finishing her junior year of high school. Born February 9, 1988 in Morristown, N.J., Napravnik is married to Joe Sharp
Back to Contenders