Blog Archive
    2013 (2)
    2012 (3)
    2011 (4)
    2010 (6)
    2009 (6)

Andy Serling has been playing the horses for almost his entire life, and is currently the co-host of NYRA Live. To follow Andy on Twitter, click here.

I'm Not Worthy

Sunday, May 30, 2010

I sit here trying to figure out what I did wrong. Who at NYRA did I anger? How could they ask me to write a blog and then put me in a grouping that includes Ernie Munick? It's not fair. I once read Phil Lesh, the bass player for the Grateful Dead, expressing embarrassment after Miles Davis warmed the Dead up ( even an avowed Dead Head such as myself knows how absurd that is ) at the Fillmore East. Well, compared to this, that was nothing. Here I am trying to string together drivel about the TC races, and this clown Ernie Munick is making graphic illustrations of his 38 Belmonts that are funnier than anything I could even dream of writing. Screw this.

I could, perhaps, compose a list of my bitterest memories of my roughly 30 Belmonts.....missing Colonial Affair ( and Krone ) winning in 1993 ( not to mention a Dead show as well ) due to a wedding commitment ( they're divorced ). Who could forget the famous LIRR breakdown of 1979 ( or was it 1978....who can remember ) BEFORE Penn Station had air conditioning? How about Summing winning in 1981 when I made doubles with Pleasant Colony and second finisher Highland Blade into Maudlin ( who of course won the last race )? What about the rain in 2003 that clearly cost the greatest horse to ever look through a bridle, Dynever, his deserved place in history as a Belmont winner? I'm still waiting for my friend Lance to show up for the 1980 Belmont. Has anybody seen him? Anyone care to explain how Sarava beat the 18:1 ( are you kidding me??? ) Medaglia D'Oro in 2002? I'm still waiting for my High School Math teacher to give me the proper credit for picking Coastal in 1979 ( he scoffed at me...then bet him...claiming it was because " Russ Harris picked him " ). What am I, Rodney friggin Dangerfield?

But I'm over that stuff. Or, at least I was, and then NYRA brought Munick aboard. What's worse is that I actually like the guy. When I first moved to NY, Ernie was writing a daily handicapping column for the NY Daily News called, I believe, Runners and Bummers. Now, I don't know if many of you remember this, but it was brilliant. I idolized him. I actually bought the paper every day just to see his picks and what he wrote. It was great stuff....funny, informative, and the picks were golden. Then he left....dropped me like a bad habit. And it got worse, not only was Ernie gone, but I was left with Kurt Paseka. This was like going to see Olivier play Hamlet, and finding out the understudy is filling in....and the understudy is Jackie Mason. My life has, understandably, never been the same.  And now it just got worse.

But there is a silver lining. Ernie still has to make his Belmont Pick. I'm fully confident that no matter how much I embarrass myself with my selection, Ernie will outdo me there as well. I could be wrong, but I heard Ernie got pretty excited when Spangled Star joined the field.

By the way, poetic license, as Kurt Paseka is actually one of my favorite people.

Comments :

• Andy | June 11 2010 10:46 AM

Ricky, I wish they were paying me for this. Can you help me with that?

• Ricky Suppan | June 04 2010 05:52 PM

I was told to look up your blog; "you are in the know". What a joke! All you did is blabber about some other guy in the business. I can't believe they are paying you for this.

• Turfdocta | June 04 2010 07:09 AM

Myles Davis was a great outfielder for the Reds and Dodgers. No Belmont was better than the one where Bold Forbes got Cordero to the eigth pole and Angel brought him home a winner. 1977? Don't worry, nobody is more entertaining than Lil' Andy when it comes to handicapping a race. Especially when it was part of the comedy team of Sterling and Pack at Siro's in Saratoga about 11 AM. Really miss that!

• Ralph Faga | June 02 2010 11:52 AM

Thank for the Maylan Studart on the grass info so let me give you one in the belmont MAKE MUSIC FOR ME AT A PRICE I think Joel R is one of the best jockeys he always tries

• Andy Serling | June 01 2010 10:15 PM

I will write up my picks for the Stakes on Belmont Day either Thursday or early Friday. As for my fellow bloggers here.....they are all much better writers than me. Ernie Munick is a God, Teresa Genero has a blog called Brooklyn Backstretch that every racing fan should read, and Jenny Kellner is not only a great writer but she is also responsible for the many fine videos on this site. I live in their shadows.

• JayGo | June 01 2010 09:24 PM

Andy, when and where do we get your Belmont picks? I for one am quite interested to hear what you have to say . . .

reported
  • Albert | June 01 2010 12:10 PM

I have no idea who is Ernie Munick,Jenny Kellner or Teresa Genaro.I dont even bother reading der blogs.Andy should have this page to himself,heck he should even have he's own show on ESPN.And by the way who in the world is Spangled Star?? Im thinking Fly Down will be 3rd choice and hoping he flies over the Big 2.

• Ernie Munick | May 30 2010 01:51 PM

He was no Dollar Bill.

• Andy | May 30 2010 01:40 PM

So you're saying it wasn't just the rain that stopped him?

reported
  • Ernie Munick | May 30 2010 01:34 PM

You. Are. Out. Of. Your. Mind. I was a HUGE Dynever fan. Until that race. Vic Ziegel, boss at News, abused me for loving that horse. See ya tomorrow. P.S. Shame on me for forgettng about Maudlin!!! Russ wouldn't let me forget about Coastal. And you were both wrong - never happened!!

Returning posters, enter your username and password.

Your Comments

Your email address is required to confirm your comments. Email addresses are never displayed to other users and they are not used for any other purposes other than blog comments.

Once you enter your email address, name, and comment, you will be emailed a link to confirm your comment. Additionally, you will be sent a password. In the future, if you wish to leave other comments, use the password that is provided in the email.