Blog Archive
    2014 (3)
    2013 (1)
    2012 (3)
    2011 (4)
    2010 (6)
    2009 (6)

Andy Serling has been playing the horses for almost his entire life, and is currently the co-host of NYRA Live. To follow Andy on Twitter, click here.

On The Preakness

Thursday, May 14, 2009

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that I agree with all the machinations of this past weekend involving the Preakness, I can't say that I didn't enjoy following them, as the last thing we want is racing to ever be boring....and even more so at this time of the year. I'm not going to completely argue with someone who disagrees with those who might attempt to keep horses out of the Preakness but I will say that my biggest surprise came that the plot was hatched publicly. Kind of like a guy ( or gal ) whispering loudly to his neighbor at the poker table that he's bluffing. But, all's well that ends well, and it looks like the mighty Rachel Alexandra will be taking her rightful place in the starting gate on Saturday.

It's a little early for me to try to handicap a race that hasn't even been drawn yet, but being that I will be out of town ( at the Preakness ) this week, I'll do my best. Now, being that I am looking forward to the excitement of a Triple Crown attempt in the Belmont Stakes, there is no doubt that I'm rooting for Mine That Bird. However, the question is whether or not that is anything more than a pipe dream. On the one hand you have a horse that had never run that well before, who rode the best part of the racetrack in the Derby, and also raced over a wet racetrack. All of these are factors that most sane handicappers use to toss a horse the next time it races. Luckily, however, sanity has never been one of my strongsuits. The plusses he has going for him are that in the Derby he made a devastating run from far back after having been overaggressively ridden in both of his Sunland Park races. He was easily best in the Borderland Derby, where he still earned an 81 Beyer Speed Figure, and had he received even a slightly more patient ride his number would likely have been in the mid to high 80s. In the Sunland Derby, he made another premature move, and probably should have been no worse than second. It could be argued, especially based on some subsequent performances, that the figure for that race was 5 or more points on the low side, so his final figure, with an adjustment for trip and possible overall needed adjustment, could have been a bit over 90. Neither of these figures would have made him look particularly competitive for the KY Derby, and he still would surely have been a toss for me, but they do make him look like at least a slightly more competitive racehorse. When you couple this with his new running style, you have a horse that no longer looks like a complete aberration, and one that just might be a very dangerous member of this weekend's field, rain or shine....gold rail or no gold rail.

None of the other returnees from the Derby, save perhaps Friesan Fire, particularly concerns me. While I am loathe to accept wet track performances, either positively or negatively, the second through fourth finishers all seemed to have run their races, and none of them can be reasonably expected to follow those efforts up with breakout performances this weekend. As for Friesan Fire, I suppose like a Snow Chief who flopped at short odds in the Derby only to rebound in the Preakness, perhaps he hated the track, and like the possible good horse he is, he will show up this weekend in Baltimore and prove best of a group that just might not be very strong ( don't worry, I'm not knocking Rachel Alexandra, and will get to her shortly ). However, he has never run particularly well outside of the Fair Grounds, his one big figure came in the mud, and he got very good trips in all of his races down there. While a good effort by him Saturday will not surprise me, it will come at the expense of my wagering dollars, as I am simply not a fan.

Big Drama
This brings us to the new shooters. First let's discuss Big Drama. Make no mistake, this is a talented horse. He ran reasonably fast races as a 2YO, winning twice at two turns, showing the ability to rate, while also having tactical speed, in both of those wins. He returned from a minor setback to beat, although he was later disqualified, a very talented This One's For Phil in the 7 furlong Swale at Gulfstream. I don't think it's a stretch to say he is the most talented colt or gelding in the Preakness. But, will he be ready to get 1 3/16ths miles in his second start of 2009, seven weeks after his last race? That's the unanswerable question, but I am taking a positive view as of now, especially given the possibility that he will be the lone speed. However, and even more importantly, will he be able to handle Rachel Alexandra?

Rachel Alexandra is a wonderful filly and perhaps the best 3YO or her sex since the mighty Go For Wand ( one of the my all-time favorites ). Each of her last four races has been better than the one preceding it, and her KY Oaks performance, albeit against no legitimate competiton, was a sight to behold. I won't argue with anyone that says had she raced the following day at Churchill instead, Mine That Bird would be the longshot that filled out a very nice exacta. Simply speaking, if she runs to her capabilities this coming Saturday, she won't lose. But, will that happen? Her former owners had planned to give her five weeks off following the KY Oaks, with the Acorn, a mile Grade 1 race on the Belmont Stakes card, being her next start. I am not a big fan of horses deviating, especially on short rest, from their schedules, especially when those deviations are in races as potentially demanding as the Preakness Stakes. Even though I am dubious that this alone will be enough to prevent her from winning, at her expected low odds, it is enough for me to take a small shot against her at the windows.

As of now, I am hoping that the big drama will ultimately be just that......a win by Big Drama. It feels like a win-win-win for me this weekend. I know this racing fan will be happy to see a filly strut her stuff in any Triple Crown race, just as like most racing fans I will be happy to see a horse set himself up for the recently elusive Triple Crown, but I'll also be very happy to collect my winning bets should Big Drama upset them all.

I can't wait.

Comments :

• Sandra | May 13 2012 01:52 AM

one day after I started pntoisg on my horse website) from the winner of the Kentucky Derby, Mine That Bird, and Friesan Fire, another Triple Crown contender, have served as omens and reminders to me that

• ASHRA | May 18 2009 03:30 PM

Mike Smith lost it for Mine That bird. Smith knew the distance was less in the Preakness, going around tighter turns, than the Derby, so he should have made his move at the 4f pole instead of the 6. He should have been in position approaching the top of the stretch, to avoid the crowding, and being carried wide. Take nothing from Rachel Alexandra, she challenged all the boys and brilliantly put them away with her "catch me if you can" running style. But head to head, I thought that Mine That Bird was best of the field. Crafty Borel proved again to be much better than we give him credit for: he outgamed Mike Smith. I don't know why we were surprized or questioned "Bird's" heart and quality before either the Derby and/or Preakness: the columnists and public handicappers failed to mention berore the Derby that "Bird" was the champion two year old from Canada; they also belittled the Sunland Derby, a $900k event that would have attracted top class colts from across the country. Now these armchair generals are believers of the Bird. I'd like to see a rematch of Rachel vs Bird in the Belmont.

• ASHRA | May 18 2009 06:37 AM

A quick correction from my previous comment: I meant Arazi, from France, not Azari. Thank you.

• ASHRA | May 17 2009 09:43 PM

Mine That Bird's sire, Birdstone was a top quality 2YO that disappointed us somewhat as a 3YO leading up to the Derby, but he sure gained our respect when he upset our favorite Smarty Jones in the Belmont. Azari, from across the pond, was a champion 2YO who didn't fire as a 3YO; but these two are examples of top quality horses that cannot be ruled out, especially, as in the case of Mine That Bird, if he's coming out of what turned out to be a key race at Sunland Park. But I love when certain angles are not analyzed, because then I get a bigger win payoff. Honorable mention to Musket Man who proved once again that he was better than the rest. I'm not going to underestimate him next time around.

• Andy Serling | May 17 2009 08:32 PM

I will try to write a post-Preakness wrap up sometime in the next 24 hours. However, I will try to answer a couple of comments here. Peter, while I am a big fan of Rachel Alexandra, I will stop short of calling her " freakish " and will stick to my prior feelings that she may be the best 3YO filly since Go For Wand. She was terrific yesterday but we knew that going into the race. Thankfully, however, Horse of the Year is rarely wrapped up by one race in May and there is still a lot of great racing left this year to decide the titles. I do like her chances for 3YO Filly of the Year. She gets my vote! ASHRA - we will have to agree to disagree. I think Mike Smith gave Mine That Bird an excellent ride yesterday and was simply second best. No disgrace but if Mike Smith had moved earlier ( i.e. prematurely ) he would have been more likely to have finished third than won the race. As for Mine That Bird being Canadian 2YO champ, that's great, but based on his past performances he was an underlay at 50:1 in the Derby and unless someone explained to me BEFORE the KY Derby why they liked him I will assume they backed other entrants. The simple fact is that he has flourished with his new running style and may also have improved fairly dramatically in the last month. I look forward to seeing him race both in the Belmont and throughout the year.

• Peter | May 17 2009 12:55 PM

Take nothing away from Mine the Bird, but you have to believe that the churchill slop made "bird" a few lengths bettor then his competition that day. That said, he ran a great race on a fast, and most of the time, speed favoring track. But, if Calvin is right about his filly not "liking" the Pimlico track, look out when/IF she hits "Big Sandy". She would be awfully tough to beat.

• Peter | May 17 2009 08:09 AM

Wow - what a Preakness. It was great to see "Bird" run a big race following his spectacular derby trip. The derby track condition made "bird" a better animal (great wet track pedigree) but he put in a winning run on a fast Pimlico track beating all the other boys. He wasn't getting much respect (including myself) and proved most people wrong. He just ran into a Freakish Filly. Did Rachel lock up horse of the year with that performance?. Andy, do you think that's possible?

• Andy Serling | May 14 2009 12:58 PM

Now that I've looked over the pps, the only other Derby returnee I will be using is General Quarters. Maybe, like Friesan Fire, he hated the track and his prior form is as good as any of the others. Given the price he may be worth including.

reported
Returning posters, enter your username and password.

Your Comments

Your email address is required to confirm your comments. Email addresses are never displayed to other users and they are not used for any other purposes other than blog comments.

Once you enter your email address, name, and comment, you will be emailed a link to confirm your comment. Additionally, you will be sent a password. In the future, if you wish to leave other comments, use the password that is provided in the email.